Parents and guardians are automatically members of the Lauriston Parents' Association (LPA).
The LPA provides opportunities for parents to:
- support and enjoy Lauriston through involvement in a wide range of different interest groups
- organise social events for the School community
- raise funds for Lauriston projects.
The LPA is a wonderful way for parents to connect with other families and fully participate in community life at Lauriston.
Lauriston Parents' Association – supporting the school
The Lauriston Parents' Association has provided significant support to the school over many years. Through its fundraising efforts, the LPA has funded multiple projects and items including:
- commissioning the Dining Hall at Howqua
- contributing to the Science and Technology Centre
- purchasing computer pods for Blairholme
- contributing to the Art & Visual Communication precinct
- building the 'LPA Centre' for Student Services
- providing data projectors in classrooms
- purchasing the School's grand piano
- sponsoring the Year 10 'LPA United Nations Congress'
- developing video conferencing facilities between the Armadale and Howqua Campuses
- donating a defibrillator to Howqua
- establishing the LPA Innovation Fund
The Lauriston Arts Association (LAA)
'Parents with an interest in the Arts are warmly invited to join in the activities of the Lauriston Arts Association (LAA).
The LAA is a group of parents whose aim is to promote and support the arts at Lauriston. The group offers practical support to the drama, music, art and visual communications departments by:
- supplementing resources under the guidance of the staff of each department
- awarding student prizes such as the annual Year 12 Art Acquisition prize, the Years 7-11 Encouragement Awards and the Award for Best Director at the House Drama competitions
- developing initiatives for parents, such as art luncheons, theatre nights, music related events and art exhibitions.
The LAA meets on a monthly basis.
The Lauriston SnowSports Association (LSSA)
Lauriston promotes participation and excellence in Snow Sports through a structured and well-resourced program of staff, parents and past students.
By working closely with students and their parents, the School is able to deliver a range of activities including pre-season trials and training, on the mountain organisation, supervision as well as social activities.
The Lauriston SnowSports Association was formed more than ten years ago to provide support to the SnowSports Program. It comprises a group of dedicated and enthusiastic parents who aim to help the school with the SnowSports program and to promote the program to the broader community.
All parents are invited to join and the LSSA welcomes new members each year.
The LSSA occasionally raises funds to help students with the costs of the snowsports activities. The Winterfest Cocktail Party, was held on Saturday 19 May 2018, and included a fundraising raffle draw. To view results of the winning tickets please view here.
The Lauriston Rowing Association (LRA)
The Lauriston Rowing Association (LRA) is a community of Lauriston parents and guardians that provides support to the Lauriston Rowing program by:
- raising money to help the rowing program by ensuring that equipment is up to date and well maintained
- organising functions for the rowers and their families to foster open communication and knowledge sharing between parents and the rowing program
- supporting Lauriston girls during regattas and training
- fulfilling Lauriston’s obligations to provide officials and marshals at regattas
- supporting the Director of Rowing
- generally supporting and ensuring the future of rowing at Lauriston.
Parents of rowers are encouraged to participate in LRA activities, where all are welcome.
The New and International Parents Group
In 2005 the New and International Parents' Support Group was established by the Lauriston Parents' Association. This group exists to support new parents as they join the Lauriston community.
As well as assisting Australian families new to Lauriston, the group assists parents from across the globe who have chosen a Lauriston education for their children. In past years this has included families from Japan, China, the USA, Canada, the UK, France, Korea, India, Malaysia, Thailand, New Zealand, Tahiti, Vietnam and Czech Republic.
Meeting monthly, the group helps relocating families and plans activities designed to help new families meet other Lauriston families. These activities help new families discover Lauriston and – for our international families – discover both Lauriston and Melbourne.
The group organises coffee mornings, lunches and visits. Free English as an Additional Language (EAL) lessons are available weekly and are run at the School.
The Fathers of Lauriston Group
The Fathers of Lauriston group connects Fathers across the Lauriston community.
The group meets monthly to catch up and support the LPA in its efforts to fundraise, assist and develop the School.
A main event on the Fathers of Lauriston calendar is the annual gala dinner which is widely supported by the Lauriston community. The group is also closely involved in promoting the School's projects including the FabLab@School.
Want to assist the LPA?
Parents and Guardians who are interested in joining the LPA Executive, an LPA subgroup or in being a Class Representative are encouraged to access the LPA contact list located in Parent Central for more information.